Waste Management Operative
HMP Exeter are looking to add a member of staff to their Waste and Environmental Management Team.
Your new role
You will be responsible for the day to day activities within the Waste Management unit. This is a non-operational job in the establishment.
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- Collect, process and dispose of waste materials from all areas of the establishment in the most appropriate and effective way, with regard to legislative compliance and environmental issues
- Liaise with contractors when ordering services, including skip collection
- Provide general advice and guidance to staff on how to manage waste more effectively and actively promote recycling within the establishment
- Carry out insect control measures within work area
- Actively contribute to recycling / waste efficiency meetings and Sustainable Development Committee Meetings
- Supervise prisoners parties and undertake quality control over their work
What you'll need to succeed
Requires basic knowledge and will be required to undertake specific training and courses in these work areas. Will comply with the relevant Health & Safety policies and regulations such as COSHH. May have completed a manual handling, basic security awareness and be trained in break-away techniques.
All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within NOMS. All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which the Prison Service consider to be racist.
Security Clearance required:
All applicants will be subject to the HM Prison Service Security Clearance procedure which can take up to 4 weeks, this can include a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check. You must hold a Valid Passport or Birth Certificate & Photo Driving Licence in your current address. All applicants must be able to provide details of 2 satisfactory references, at least one from an ex-employer.
What you'll get in return
37 hours a week
Monday to Thursday 07:30 - 16:30, Friday 07:30 - 12:30 with an hours unpaid lunch break.
Training, uniform and equipment supplied.
The opportunity to apply for the permanent position.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.