Senior or Principal Ecologist - Birmingham, UK
CH2M is a global leader in consulting, design and programme management. We love to tackle complex challenges, and we know that our best solutions come out of close, trusted partnerships with our clients and the communities we touch.
Be a part of something Special: Every professional aspires to be part of something special, to innovate and to change the world for the better; leaving their ideas and visions imprinted in the landscape for future generations to wonder ‘how’ as they marvel at the scale & complexity in front of them.
Here at CH2M we are fortunate to work towards this every day, enhancing the lives of the communities around us and greatly improving infrastructure for business and the economy to compete and thrive.
Our exceptionally talented Environmental Teams are committed to delivering major highway schemes for National Agencies and Contractors both in the UK and internationally.
We support a range of infrastructure projects including flood risk management schemes (Environment Agency), Smart Motorway and other highway schemes (Highways England), rail schemes (HS2 Ltd and Network Rail) as well as local transport schemes.
Our goal is to support our clients in realising their ambitions through a fully integrated approach to project delivery and drawing on the services of all disciplines from locations throughout the region.
The Role: Due to continued growth of both our portfolio and demand for our services we are seeking a Senior / Principal Ecologist.
• Organising, implementing and reporting on ecological surveys
• Leading on ecological impact assessment and mitigation design
• Perhaps providing ecological supervision of construction work
• Helping mentor and manage the activities of junior ecologists; and
• Providing advice, report review and quality control for ecological inputs to a range of projects
• Lead ecological inputs to, and manage junior ecologists on, projects including surveys, report preparation and ecological impact assessment, as follows:
• Collate baseline information and undertake detailed desktop ecological appraisals
• Carry out Phase 1 and other habitat surveys
• Carry out protected species surveys
• Prepare and or check ecological survey maps and reports
• Carry out and review ecological impact assessment reports
• Carry out Environmental Clerk of Works roles or similar supervisory roles when required
• Prepare protected species licence applications
• Advise clients/contractors on ecological issues including giving short talks
• Collaborate with and organize appointment and review of sub-contractors and contingent ecologist staff
• Consult with landowners, ecological bodies and other stakeholders
• Carry out relevant health and safety training and activities as required and complete risk assessments for site visits and surveys
• Be willing to work as part of a team and to help mentor and develop junior ecologists
The Opportunity: CH2M are appointed as partners for nationally significant infrastructure projects where we work as an integrated team alongside our clients managing engineering and other professional services companies to deliver exciting schemes on time and within budget.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced ecology professional looking to take the next step in their career to work on interesting and challenging projects. We continually look to further enhance CH2Mers capability through diverse and challenging work as well as training, development plans & mentorships.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Ecology or a related subject within environmental sciences with a strong Ecology background (or equivalent)
• A Master’s degree in an ecological subject would be advantageous but not essential
• Experience of field ecology, survey techniques and of carrying out surveys as part of infrastructure design or construction
• Experience of consulting with stakeholders (Natural England and others) and advising clinets on the ecological requirements of their projects
• Experience of organizing surveys and consulting with land owners regarding access for surveys
• Knowledge of UK environmental /ecological policy and legislation
• Thorough understanding of ecological impact assessment methods and reporting
• Good report writing, written and oral communication skills
• CSCS card or evidence of similar H&S training or accreditation is desirable as is understanding of working safely on surveys and construction sites
• CIEEM or similar Chartership
• Full UK driving licence (essential)
• Candidate must be willing to undertake moderate (significant at times) travel within the UK to other offices and site survey locations, sometimes staying locally for several days
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK. CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.
Learn more about our collaborative, friendly culture and the ways in which we’re driven to support diversity through multiple networks and initiatives. We support and encourage every employee’s professional growth and provide flexible working conditions where appropriate. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as advance their career.
CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.