Senior Civil Engineer (Water) - Warrington, UK
As Senior Civil Engineer you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary design team with a focus on the civil and hydraulic engineering elements. You can expect to be involved in the refurbishment, extension and new build of potable water and waste water treatment works, reinforced concrete tanks and chambers, reinforced concrete slabs for equipment, pipework (both above and below ground), layout development, pumping stations, deep excavation, coffer dams and other temporary works, outfalls etc.
CH2M is in a Joint Venture with Volker Stevin (the Joint Venture is known as C2V+) that has been successful in securing one of the Construction Delivery Partner (CDP) positions with United Utilities. The CDPs are a key element to United Utilities strategy for the delivery of their AMP6 investment plan and for fulfilling their commitment to provide class leading service to their customers.
The principal function of this position is to provide support to the works we undertake on the UU CDP programme of works as part of C2V+. United Utilities is one of the largest water and sewerage companies in England; both in terms of population and geographical spread. As a result, C2V+ is getting the opportunity to deliver a varied portfolio of work that encompasses Water and Wastewater treatment plant upgrades and improvement works to both the wastewater collection and potable water distribution systems.
The capital value of the delivery projects covers a wide range; some are in the £40m+ bracket through to those at around the £1m. We are looking for staff who delight in developing multi-disciplinary detailed design solutions with the construction team and enjoy working in the fast moving pace of the design-and-construct arena.
You will be expected to manage the interfaces with other key disciplines and whilst not your primary discipline you will be able to interface knowledgeably with other disciplines eg environmental, planning, geotechnical, process, mechanical, electrical and ICA.
You will be involved in tender design as well as detailed design under a design and build environment, be comfortable working to tight deadlines and interfacing with the construction and estimating teams. You will be literate and capable of producing reports and recommendations to a good standard of written English.
This position will involve liaising with regional and global design centres for the production of design deliverables using BIM appropriate software packages. The successful candidate will have a clear understanding of the plant elements, capability to check work, competent awareness of the interface between civil, mechanical and electrical/ICA interfaces and good team-working skills.
Within this job, you can expect to:
• Assist with the overall coordination and production of the multi-disciplinary designs from tender to completion of construction
• Drive the interface between the main design team and hydraulic specialists when complex situations arise
• Help co-ordinate the design team throughout the delivery period
• Input into risk management
• Assist with client engagement and stakeholder consultation
• Develop innovative solutions that deliver the clients brief
• Adopt a proactive approach to innovation, sustainability and delivering cost effective solutions
• Help support and mentor the junior delivery teams
• Participate in design reviews on a regular basis to identify potential design and buildability issues
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
Candidates will have a minimum BEng Degree in relevant subject and will be a Chartered Engineer with a recognised professional body (ICE or similar).
You will have significant experience of the UK wastewater treatment Industry alongside comprehensive technical construction knowledge, proven experience of producing accurate technical outputs and have demonstrably sound hydraulic knowledge.
Applicants will also exhibit the following skills and experience:
• Have knowledge of BIM and its implementation
• Client focused to help build long term relationships
• Ability to work independently and within a team
• Ability to plan, organize and manage
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Flexible, adaptable and responsive to change
• Motivated member of the team
• Proven experience of coordination and delivery to deadline and evidence of problem resolution in the process
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK. CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.
Learn more about our collaborative, friendly culture and the ways in which we’re driven to support diversity through multiple networks and initiatives. We support and encourage every employee’s professional growth and provide flexible working conditions where appropriate. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as advance their career.
CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.