Trading Standards Officer
Trading Standards Officer required in East London for public sector organisation.
Your new company
This East London based public sector organisation is currently looking to recruit a Trading Standards Officer to join their Environmental Health and Trading Standards department.
As an Officer with delegated authority, use accredited specialist multi-faceted skills and techniques to carry out a programme of proactive and reactive functions which will contribute to raising standards of Trading Standards and Consumer Protection in the borough.
Your new role
As a Trading Standards Officer you are responsible for using appropriate interventions, using delegated powers and specialist skills (i.e. inspection, enforcement powers, negotiation and persuasion) within all types of commercial activity within the Borough. Your aim is to gain and ensure compliance with Trading Standards legislation so that the standards of consumer protection are promoted and enhanced for residents, businesses and visitors. Responsibilities of this role include (but are not limited to):
- Exercise delegated authority where authorised to act as an Officer or Inspector on behalf of the organisation under the appropriate legislative provisions and ensure statutory responsibilities are properly and effectively discharged, on issues within Trading Standards
- To undertake complex programmed and complaint audits, inspections, surveys and investigations under all the relevant Trading Standards Legislation, including visiting sites alone taking necessary action, such visits will involve attending locations and encountering situations which may involve personal risk.
- Initiate and carry out enforcement and legal process functions in residential and all types of commercial premises (from multinational to small businesses), including the prosecution, seizure or detention of goods, issuing of notices, application for and execution of warrants necessitating the forced entry to premises
- Provide specialist technical advice and guidance to all service users including residents, consumers, traders and businesses on all Trading Standards matters.
- Work in partnership with other individuals, agencies, groups and government departments to enable the Service to develop and gain greater efficiency delivering its core functions
What you'll need to succeed
To be the successful candidate you will have a Degree/Diploma in Environmental Health or an equivalent qualification and have experience as a Trading Standards Officer within the public sector. You will have excellent communication and organisation skills, and the ability to investigate, analyse and provide solutions to problems.
Experience of responding effectively to changing demands and priorities, meeting targets and deadlines and maintaining quality services.
What you'll get in return
Competitive Market hourly rate
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.